Sunday, November 13, 2011

Nighttime Delirium

and I lie awake for one more restless night
as the meaningless increments are kept in
perfect time by the brilliantly glowing
numbers that float through the air to my bed
and taunt me with their passing

I can't even say what is on my heart because
the words form knots before they even
reach my lips so I choke them back down
although occasionally I miss a few
and out they spew and stain the air before me

circling around the usual racetrack of thoughts
there goes my mind in first and last place
seeing no new roads and passing no new finish lines
only tiring of the same old skid marks
the same old flags and the same old trophies

tossing and turning doesn't actually do much
because the sheets become bars in my cage
of a bed and the dream catcher, a hypnotist
as my eyes follow its swinging dance
and the dark fades to light again

one of these days I'll find the courage to
make a change and to put a stop to these endless days
because enough is quite enough
I'm through with quoting silly lines without
the strength to make them mean something

so, here's to meaning something

No comments:

Post a Comment