Saturday, January 21, 2012

Last Chapter

pages fade, turned one too many times
sharp paper cuts slice to reality
through the convoluted story line
though I have it dog-eared many times over
the characters remain unfamiliar
taking unexpected turns
where the path trails away
and I don't have the next chapter

flipping back a couple pages
I realize this isn't the same book
I started out reading
the Wicked Witch eats a granny
and the Wolf hunts for slippers
while the Hatter is leaving breadcrumbs
and Gretel considers the letter M

I find I'm chained to this story
though continually placed on the shelf
I wake up to find it under my pillow
again and again I trace my fingers over
the scrawling patterns of script
but the message never changes, never strays
just keep reading, don't skip ahead
the last chapter has yet to be written

No comments:

Post a Comment