Saturday, January 7, 2012

Songbird

all I can do is wish the song was for me
but the songbird doesn't sing for just anyone these days
and this tune doesn't quite ring true for me anymore
so I'll quietly fade into the background of the lyrics
as my mind continues to wander uncontrollably
and I get lost driving down old roads
passing by old haunts and blowing through familiar stop signs
while I silently mouth those words that I almost believe
almost remembering who I am and where I'm going
the picture of us slowly slipping between my forefingers
my reaction time isn't fast enough to hold on
and the breeze sweeps it away along with those fake smiles
fingers trembling from the sudden loss
all I can do is grip the steering wheel a little bit tighter
and turn up the radio where I hear your voice again
screaming just a little louder than I remember
in a language I don't understand
but when I play it backwards I hear you calling my name
over and over and over again

No comments:

Post a Comment